Domestic abuse is never your fault.

You are not alone.

Search for local domestic abuse and sexual violence help, as well as national helplines. The services listed here help with things like checking whether you are at risk, making a plan to stay safe and looking at what support options are available to you.




The types of help that might be available to you include:

Specialist support

Specialist support is provided by Independent Domestic Violence Advocates (IDVAs) or Independent Sexual Violence Advocates (ISVAs). They are called Independent Domestic Abuse Advocates (IDAAs) in Scotland. If you are supported by an advocate, they will support you and work alongside you, the police and the criminal justice system to create a safety plan, if that is something you would like to do. They are trained specialists with lots of knowledge of domestic abuse, the law and local services. They provide support to both men and women.

Refuge accommodation

A refuge is a place where women and children can stay if they need to leave their home because of domestic abuse. Refuges have a team of case workers who can help women and their families with emotional and practical support. Specialist support is also often available for children.

Community outreach services

Community outreach services support people in their home or when they leave a refuge. They can help in a crisis and work with you on a safety plan. They will look at what support options are available for you, such as counselling. Outreach workers can also help with practical things like housing, finding legal advice, and accessing financial support. You might meet with an outreach worker individually or be offered support in a group.


Counselling is where you meet with a trained counsellor, psychologist or psychotherapist to talk about what you’re going through and how you’re feeling. A counsellor will help you to find ways of coping with difficult experiences. Counselling might happen face to face, online or over the phone. You might be offered individual sessions or support in a group.


Most police forces have staff who are specially trained to respond to situations involving domestic abuse. If you are experiencing domestic abuse or are worried about someone else, you can report it to the police by contacting the police’s non-emergency number on 101. You can also visit your local police station.

If it’s an emergency, you can contact the police by calling 999.

National helplines

24 hours

Call now

If you need to speak to someone out of hours, these helplines are always open and free to call.